Modifying Your DSS-1
The new modification kits are ready to go. Pricing is listed below.
The new kit is more difficult to install than the old kit, but it is less expensive. I no longer do the modifications. You will have to find a service center to do the work.
Shipping is not included for any of the above items, contact me for rates. The DSS-1 is a large heavy beast, so expect shipping to be $60 USD in North America and at least $150.00 for the rest of the world.
Also, see below for a list of people that can do the installation for you – please contact me if you would like to be added to the list.
Modification kit only (new PCB’s), cables, connectors, and instructions – $250.00 USD
Prices do not include shipping
how is the ordering process for one of the modification kits for the DSS-1?
And question to the usb connection: Can I just connect to a simple usb card reader or a usb harddrive?
I would like to purchase an upgrade kit and have it shiped to NYC. How do I buy the item – can I pay using paypal?
sorry to bother you again.
I bought a DSS-1 off of eBay, and just got it yesterday. I had already bid on it before I found your website. Now, I would have preferred to have bought one of yours already built for $500, assuming you even have one.
The unit I bought was supposed to have been in “excellent condition”, but won’t let me get past the ***KORG DSS-1***. SAMPLING SYNTHESIZER. screen on the display. I’ve turned it on and off several times, given it ten minutes to allow me to access the system, and it just keeps displaying that same screen.
So, my question is, is that just a firmware issue that you could fix? Or should I send it back to the seller, get a refund, and get one of yours (assuming you have one), or buy a different one and send it to you?
Thanks for your time!
Send an email to me, perhaps I can help… email@example.com
Or raise this problem on korgforums.com in the appropriate topic and others can benefit from the reading there, too…
I have the same problem. What did you end up doing?
There are several things that can halt the boot process. One if them is a missing or faulty connection between the CPU-1 and CPU-2 boards which is a connector on the lower right of the KLM-780 board. A faulty floppy controller IC will also cause the problem. If you open it up, check for any loose or missing connectors.
I bought a korg dss-1 from ebay. Every time I try to format the disk or save a sample i get disk error. loading sounds from the preset disks works fine, but saving my own doesn’t seem to work. I’ve removed disk protection and made it writable. Is the floppy broken? should I get it fixed? or am I doing something wrong?
Are there any kits available for sale and how easy is it to install your self?
What kits do you mean? DSS-1, EPS16, ASR-10…
I would buy the dss upgrade anytime you have one ready!! Please let me know.
are there any news about the upgrade kit for DSS-1. You announced it for summer 2019 an I hardly con await it :-))
Unfortunately it’s going to take longer. I took a new job last year which I had hoped would give me more time but it turned out to be the opposite. However things are changing and I hope to have more time in the next 6 months.
Tom, please add me to the waiting list.
I am happy to pay a deposit any time.
Leaving a message here to get updates on the mod kit when its ready, looking forward
Keep up the great work, and thank you for all you have done for the DSS-1 musician community! Looking forward to the new upgrade kit and congratulations on the new job becoming more amenable to your DSS-1 project!
Hi, may I join the DSS-1 kit waiting list? Many thanks.
You can sign up for news on the homepage, on the right mid-page.
I need also some kits for DSS1 as many people, please make it happen again thanks
I also would like to get the DSS-1 upgrade kit. It looks like my main CPU board (with the 8085A-2 CPU) went south, and I am looking forward to the improved performance with this kit.
The DSS-1 upgrade is on hold while I focus on other projects. I hope to continue on it this year.
Let me know when the DSS1 upgrade kit is back to sell.
Please add me to the list of people wanting an upgrade kit, cheers
please add me to the list of people wanting an upgrade kit.
Thanks and ciao.
please put me on the list for dss1 kit
ready to buy!
Please add me to the list as well. If you have the PCB, parts BOM and such, I would be happy with that as a start also.
Hi Tom, please count me in. Many thanks in advanced!
Hi, Tom – I’d like to be added to the list as well. I have a pair of DSS-1’s. Please advise as to pre-order.
I’m not doing pre-orders or deposits, as I don’t have a time frame on the upgrades. Rest assured that any news of the upgrade will be posted here.
I’d like to be warned when you make new kit available as, if I understand well, you don’t do pre order or have a waiting list.
Ready to buy!
my first ask for an uppgrade kit is from 2016. In August 2019 I asked again to get an upgrade kit for my DSS-1. Will I live long enough to get one? I´m 67 in the meanwhile….
missed the last run. any idea when the next batch might be ready?🤪
Probably not for a while. It’s going to have to be completely redesigned at this point.